Monday, March 1, 2010

Hidden Island's first two pigs!


So last week I bought two "grower" pigs. "Grower" meaning that they are just going to grow until they are "market" size, and then be made into meat. They will be ready for butcher in several months. They arent typical "wiener pig" size, they are about 100 pounds, so they are causing some MAJOR rooting damage. I'm thinking of starting a side businesss of "Eco-friendly rotilling" or "Eco-Friendly Land Clearing" because thats really what these pigs seem to be experts at, ripping up sod, tilling about 8 inches deep! If you want to be able to experience these delicious pigs when they become pork, let me know your interested, and also what cuts of meat and how much you might be interested in buying. For example: 2 pork chops, 2 pounds of bacon. Hopefully I will be using the Island Grown Farmers Co-Op to butcher and process my meats, which will allow me to sell retail cuts of meat, rather than the typical "Quarter, Half, or Whole" animal which doesn't work well for most people, especially those with limited freezer space. Also if I use the Island Grown Co-Op it means I can put my own "Hidden Island Farms" label on the package, which would be awesome! I already have several people interested in pork, so be sure to let me know if you want to be on "the list". The picture shown above is the pigs after only 5 days, showing how much "destruction" they cause (to wet soil anyways). The dog in the picture is my Brittany (Brittany spaniel) puppy (8 months old) named Olivia aka "Livvie" hanging out with her new best friends. The pigs don't have names, I just call them: "pig" and "pig", and occasionally "pigs" (they always come when called! LOL) . The black and white spotted pig is actually a really nice girl, who apparently had no human contact before I bought her. She seems really happy to be living in a nice environment (her previous home was borderline inhumane) and if you pet her, she immediately rolls on her side to get her belly rubbed (if you have never rubbed a pigs belly, and heard the snorts of happiness, then you are missing out on one of lifes minor pleasures!). If she keeps that up I might try to keep her and see if she might be able to raise some babies. The pigs are eating a "grower" ration from Wolfkill Feed in Stanwood, WA.

I'm looking for Berkshire pigs. If anyone knows anyone who has Berkshire's, let me know please. If you don't know about Berkshire pigs, they are like the "Angus of pork" with good meat-marbling.

I also planted three trees yesterday, but that deserves its own post! So until next time, HAPPY HOEING! - Farmer Marshall

3 comments:

  1. I'd love some info on a share of the pork!! MMMmmmm home grown bacon and lard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey, you can email me direct: Marshall@HiddenIslandFarms.com for information on ordering a package of pork, including the cuts of meat you'd prefer. And lard will be available! I think you would also be interested in some natural fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya got to name her Spot. (the pig I mean)
    Tammi

    ReplyDelete